Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Lakes Region Montessori Staff

Welcome to the blog for A Lakes Region Montessori School! We are excited to keep you informed of the school's events with this blog and hope you check back frequently.

First and foremost, we would like to introduce you to the staff:

Robyn L. Vanlandingham, Head Teacher/Director/Owner
"Teacher Robyn"
Education and relevent training: Successful completion through the University of Puget Sound on the Theory and Practice of the Montessori Method of Education. B.A. and Associate's Degree in Marine Science. Owner of the school for five years after owning (and selling) another Montessori school in Seattle, WA.
What do you consider the school's greatest strength? I believe that the school's greatest strength is its academic environment provided with love and support.
Name a goal or hope for the year: I hope that the school year is filled with peace and love!
Any personal information you want to share with our blog readers? I grew up in Stonington, CT. As an adult, I moved to Washington state where I resided for about 22 years. I have a 15 1/2 year son who attends New Hampton School. I have three horses, two very messy geese, and a few dogs and cats. I love to go to the beach, use my boat, and, of course, horseback ride.


Heather Donahue, Head Teacher
"Teacher Heather"
Education and relevent training: ALRM staff for five years, UMA Montessori training
What do you consider the school's greatest strength? The students, parents, and staff.
Name a goal or hope for the year: I hope every student gains independence and confidence this year.
Any personal information you want to share with our blog readers?
I am from Tampa, FL and am married with three boys: Alex (19), Jack (14), and Owen (7). We have three bunnies (Blizzard, Leo, and Sunflower) and two dogs (Mojo and Trooper). I enjoy spending time with family and friends, and I love hockey.



Jennifer MacDonald, Head Teacher, grades 1-3
"Teacher Jennifer"
Education and relevant training: I am a graduate of Keene State College with a BS in Elementary Education and a BA in History as well as certification in General Special Education. I have previously taught in public school for 9 years, spanning the primary grades. This is my first year working with multi-age students at ALRM.
What do consider the school’s greatest strength? As a parent of a ALRM student and teacher here, I believe that the setting and compassionate environment of the program is the school's greatest strength. Children are allowed to grow at their own pace both socially and academically alongside peers and teachers who value education. We all strive to provide calm and compassionate environments for our children; at ALRM we know that that goal is being attained for our children .
A goal or hope for this school year: My goal this year is to meet each learner where they are at and help them discover how great they can be!
Any personal info you might want to share with our blog readers:( Aside from being Elle's mom, I am also 'mom' to Puppy Pal. Puppy Pal was a very sick little 2.8 pound Pekingese puppy that was brought to school last year and ended up going home with us! Many of the older students remember Puppy Pal as he came to school with Elle for most of last year! I am happy to report that Mr. Puppy Pal has grown to a strapping young man, full of energy and mischief. You would never know today, what a sickly little man he was when he arrived in New Hampton via an airplane ride from Georgia. A very special thanks to the teachers and children who were so influential in shaping Puppy Pal into the independent young man he is today!



Bettey Tobey, Assistant Teacher
"Teacher Bettey"
Education and relevent training: B.A. UNH, Sociology; M.S.W., University of Ottawa, School of Social Welfare; other work equivalent to a Master's in Education: UNH, UVM, and St. Michael's College. NH certified: Experienced teacher, K-8; School Guidance; School Social Work. Teaching experience: Grade 2 and other PT teaching, K-8. I also have extensive pediatric social work experience, including as a member of a medical pediatric team, under the aegis of Dr. Mackay, Chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Name a goal or hope for the year: To do the best possible to create comfortable and positive feelings for the children at ALRM to enjoy relating to each other and to learning new and exciting things.
Any personal information you want to share with our blog readers? I am totally committed to an ECO approach- including care and attention to wildlife, botanicals, etc. I have a designated Wildlife Protection area at home. I also have a strong and loving family.


Jillian Fortin, Assistant Teacher
"Miss Jillian"
Education and relevent training: I started at ALRM as an intern through Inter-Lakes High School. I was then offered a paid position as a teacher and have been here for the past three years. I am continuing my schooling to become a teacher.
What do you consider the school's greatest strength? Our connection with the children. Being a small school has many benefits like that.
Name a goal or hope for the year: I hope that I impact students' lives as much as they impact my own.
Any personal information you want to share with our blog readers? I have been living in Meredith, NH my whole life. I danced for 11 years and cheered at the competitive level for 6. My dreams are to have a family of my own and to own a Montessori school.



Amanda Newman, Assistant Teacher
"Miss Amanda"
Education and relevent training: I have an Associate's Degree in Culinary Arts from George Brown College in Toronto, Ontario and am a mother of three active and imaginative school-age children, two of which graduated from ALRM in June 2010.
What do you consider the school's greatest strength?I believe the schools greatest strength is the diverse group of students. I think it is important for our children to experience diversity, so they can learn to become respectful of each other and our differences.
Name a goal or hope for the year: I hope that the children will experience and embrace all of the love, support and guidance that they deserve to become successful members in society.
Any personal information you want to share with our blog readers? I was born and raised in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and moved to the US in 1994. I live in Holderness, NH with my three children Jack (8), twins Andrew and Rachel (6) and our cat Madison. I am an avid reader of fiction and history. I enjoy traveling, hiking, swimming and playing in the surf at the beach.



Jennifer Churchill, Yoga Instructor
Jennifer Churchill will be teaching yoga for children and adults at Lakes Region Montessori School this fall. As a teenager Jennifer began studying yoga in a quest for physical fitness, personal growth, and purification. Her love for yoga and desire to share it with others led her to become a yoga instructor. She is attending the Abhyasa Yoga Institute in Meredith, NH for her 200hr Yoga Teacher Certification. She will complete her certification in September 2010. Additionally, her two sons Quinn (3.5yrs) and Malcolm (1.5yrs) inspired her to become a Childlight yoga instructor. Her goal is to instill a life long love for yoga by making yoga fun for children. Jen believes that yoga can give children the tools to find strength inside and out. Her son Quinn is attending Lakes Region Montessori where Jen will be sharing yoga with the students every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month. Jennifer also works as a Certified Emergency Veterinary Technician in Concord, NH. She lives at New Hampton School with her husband Craig, sons Quinn and Malcolm, their weimaraner Sage and cat Poe.


Memmee, Headmistress/Welcome Committee
"Memmers"
Education and relevent training: I have been with ALRM for just over a year. It is my second family.
What do you consider the school's greatest strength? All of the children who love me so. Name a goal or hope for the year: That the children will not pull my tail.
Any personal information you want to share with our blog readers? I was born in Oregon. I live with a wolf and two other dogs. One is named Max who bites me a lot. The other, Duke, plays with me. I also live with two geese who like to chase me and scare me a lot. My mother, Robyn, takes very good care of me. Some say that I am just a little spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment